We are currently booked through 2021 so we’re temporarily closed for submissions. If you have submitted your novel to us prior to January 25th, 2020, we will be assessing it for publication! Anything submitted after that date will not be reviewed until we open up for submissions again. Please note we strongly encourage all authors to submit simultaneously as we are a small press and only publish a small number of books each year so the % of books we accept for publication is very low.
We have started a new imprint, Meerkat Shorts for Novelettes and Novellas, but at present this we are handling this via invitation. If you have been previously published by Meerkat Press, including in one of our anthologies, you can consider yourself invited.
We are looking for original stories that make our brains engage, our breaths catch and our hearts thud. We want stories that keep us up all night reading and leave us begging for a sequel. We love fresh voices, unique/flawed characters, imaginative story lines, and diversity in characters and settings (and authors!) Our catalog does have a high percentage of speculative fiction and darker themes, but that’s not all we publish, so please feel free to submit work that you think is a fit based on the following:
If you have a completed work that fits that description in one of the categories below, we hope you will submit it for consideration.
Novel-length (40K – 100K) manuscripts:
- What we are looking for:
- Ages: Adult, New Adult & YA.
- Speculative Fiction [all sub-genres and especially if those genre lines are crossed in unique ways]
- Romance [with strong story lines, and not of the formulaic or historical variety]
- Coming of Age
- Submission Guidelines:
- Include a cover email containing genre, word count, pitch, brief bio, and contact information.
- Please confirm that you have a complete manuscript.
- Please confirm that your story has not been published before (self-published is considered previously published).
- A full synopsis (up to 3 pages)
- Your completed novel manuscript.
- Use Proper Novel Manuscript Format (Meerkat exceptions: Times New Roman preferred, one space after period, italics are okay, em dashes are okay)
- We accept .doc, .docx (preferred), .txt, and .rtf files
- Send to Submissions@MeerkatPress.com with subject line: Novel – Genre – Title – Author
- Simultaneous submissions are okay, but PLEASE notify us immediately if your work is no longer available.
- Payment: We make royalty-based payments for novels, and in some cases, an advance against royalties.
- General: Royalties, marketing plan and budget, editorial process, and expectations will be thoroughly discussed prior to signing. We only publish books we love, so if accepted, you’ll have a publisher/champion/partner working with you every step of the way!
We try to be as quick as we can with our responses, but we are a small press and aren’t always reading submissions. That is why simultaneous submissions are not only accepted, but also encouraged (as long as you notify us promptly if your work is accepted elsewhere). If you haven’t heard back from us in 6 months, please contact us at Info@MeerkatPress.com with a subject line of: Query – Novel – Genre – Title – Author.
Thank you for your interest.