Aimee Jodoin at Foreword Reviews gave BEAST HEART, Kyle Richardson’s debut YA Steampunk novel, a glowing starred review! Be sure to check out the full review on their website or in the Spring Issue of the magazine! We are so excited to be publishing this first book in the Steambound trilogy!
Beast Heart: In Kyle Richardson’s steampunk adventure “Beast Heart”, two children are pushed to their extremes when catlike monsters stalk their city. In the city of Iron Bay, nine-year-old Gabby’s hand turns to smoke. Her mother hires an engineer to build…
Coming March 31, 2020
When the girl with the clockwork hand meets the boy with the beast heart, sparks fly in this poignant, adventure-filled debut.
Book 1 of the Steambound Trilogy. When Gabby’s hand turns to steam, her mom hires an engineer to build her a clockwork glove. It’s the last thing Gabby wants—if only she could be normal. But when her mom is attacked by something monstrous, normal is no longer an option. Now the only person she can turn to is a grizzled detective, who promises to help her become something … more.
Meanwhile, Kemple’s foster dad treats him like a slave. And the beatings are getting worse. So when a rebellious girl named Josephyn arrives—with a plan to escape to the city—he doesn’t hesitate. But there are creatures in Iron Bay whose slashes are worse than skin-deep. And as Kemple evolves into something inhuman, his search for a cure begins.
They are strangers in a city where carriages rattle, airships rumble, and where their own dark pasts continue to haunt them. Soon their paths will collide, and the girl who slays monsters will come face to face with the boy who is becoming a beast.
- Kirkus Reviews – “Richardson’s prose possesses the gritty urgency of urban fantasy … readers will be interested to see where Richardson goes with these two slow-cooked characters and their evocative milieu.” – Full Review
- Foreword Reviews (starred review) -“An explosion of action … Iron Bay is all dark alleys and howls in the night … In Beast Heart, the similarities between true monsters and metaphorical ones are drawn out; mythical creatures and simmering anger can both be overcome. “
- Linda Hepworth, NB Magazine (5 stars) – “A richly multi-layered book … convincingly drawn and developed … incorporates myth, fantasy and horror, combining all these strands to form an increasingly tense and, at times, very moving story … dramatic and shocking. (5 stars)
- Seb Doubinsky, award-winning author of the City-States Cycle series – “Kyle Richardson’s YA novel, Beast Heart, is a wonderful and original mix of action, psychology and suspense. Blending steampunk and horror, it is an efficient thriller that captures the reader and makes him or her wanting for more. Very highly recommended, for adults and teenagers alike.”
- Kaaron Warren, award-winning author of Tide of Stone and Into Bones Like Oil – “Kyle Richardson pumps blood into machinery in Beast Heart, bringing his characters to life in this clever, emotionally engaging novel. Richardson is a writer to watch.”
- Rebecca Gomez Farrell, author of Wings Unseen – “Hands made of steam, cranks that conceal monsters, clockwork creations of jealous villainy: Richardson’s Beast Heart beats with beautiful whimsy and honesty about the pains of adolescence, abuse, and bullying. It also nurtures hope that its heroes can hold on to their humanity.”
- G.D. Penman, author of The Year of the Knife – “A rare treat that manages to seem familiar from the start yet surprise at every turn.”