We are thrilled to present the cover for Cat Rambo’s upcoming novelette, Carpe Glitter. We think you’ll love taking this sentimental journey through with Persephone Aim, as she discovers a magical WWII artifact in her grandmother’s belongings and faces one of the biggest decisions of her life.
On sale now!
What do you do when someone else’s past forces itself on your own life? Sorting through the piles left behind by a grandmother who was both a stage magician and a hoarder, Persephone Aim finds a magical artifact from World War II that has shaped her family history. Faced with her mother’s desperate attempt to take the artifact for herself, Persephone must decide whether to hold onto the past—or use it to reshape her future.
Praise for CARPE GLITTER
- Linda Hepworth, NB Magazine (5 stars) – “A revelatory joy to read and especially … the various ways in which the author combined numerous fantasy elements and dark humour with an exploration of complex family relationships. In a psychologically convincing way, and with well-depicted characters, she demonstrated how, following a death, secrets will often emerge which enable survivors to make better sense of their history.”
- Unnerving Magazine, Eddie Generous – “A multi-layered situation boils together generational family struggles, hoarding, and a robot in a way that’s compelling, interesting, and totally fun. Quick pacing. Good dialogue. An unexpected ending that’s satisfying and final.”
- Roy Freirich, author of Winged Creatures – “Casually audacious, this novella eases into deep strangeness so persuasively because it’s so rooted in the real—here the edgy bond of mothers and daughters and their power over each other. The writing gently but completely and irresistibly pulls you in . . . before it shocks you.”
- Seb Doubinsky, author of The City States-Cycle series -“Cat Rambo’s Carpe Glitter is a delightful mix of vintage horror and contemporary dysfunctional family issues. Think Shirley Jackson meets American Horror Story, and enjoy the spooky ride like I did.”
- Kyle Richardson, author of Beast Heart and co-editor of Behind the Mask – “Cat’s attention to detail pulls you so convincingly into Persephone’s world that you can practically smell the dust and feel the grit wafting off the pages … it lured me in gently, then the rails fell off and everything went bonkers, and I couldn’t stop turning the pages. Imaginative and captivating!”
- E.D.E. Belle, author of The Banished Craft – “This suspenseful little novelette is tiny and fleeting (like glitter!) – perfect if you need a break or a night to escape. It’s about a search through Grandmother’s mystical items, a complex family dynamic, dark finds, and a symbolic question. It’s sensory, interesting, and delightfully weird.”
- Jessica Belmont’s Blog – “With beautiful writing, a twisty plot, and a fantastic main character, what’s not to love about Carpe Glitter? Highly recommended and definitely in the running for my favorite read of the year.”
- Michelle Meng’s Book Blog – “The plot kept me cheering for Persephone and adknowledging the fact that her grandmother was really something.”
- Crystal’s Library – “The perfect pre-Halloween read.”
- Chapters Through Life Book Blog – “If you like outside the box mysteries with a touch of magic this book is for you.”
Praise for Previous Work by Cat Rambo
- Ysabeau Wilce, author of the Flora Trilogy (Praise for Hearts of Tabat) – “a beautifully written book, lyrical and poetic, and it lingers in the mind long after the last page is turned.”
- Publishers Weekly (Praise for Beasts of Tabat) – “a fascinating world of magic, intrigue, and revolution.”